[Xapian-discuss] ANNOUNCE: Xapian at the University Library of Cologne

Oliver Flimm flimm at sigtrap.de
Thu Apr 12 14:19:46 BST 2007

Hi,

I just want to announce another entry for the Xapian Users's page.

At the Library of the University of Cologne (Germany) we are using Xapian
for the University's central OPAC. The size of the OPAC is over 5.2 million
title entries split across 133 separate databases for all the different
institutes at the university and numerous other catalogues.

The language used in our OPAC, which is named 'KUG' (Koelner
UniversitaetsGesamtkatalog = Whole calalogue of the University of Cologne),
is german-only at this point although the application is already
internationalized. KUG can be reached via http://kug.ub.uni-koeln.de/

KUG uses the Open Source portal software OpenBib (http://www.openbib.org/),
which is hosted by BeriOS, a site like sourceforge
(http://developer.berlios.de/projects/openbib). Xapian is used for the
simple search feature of the OPAC, whereas the complex search still uses the
underlying SQL-databases.

Some background information: I'm the main - well only ;-) - developer of
OpenBib and like Xapian alot. OpenBib is a typical LAMP-application
(mod_perl), so I'm using Perl as the only programming language.

Regards,

Oliver

--
!- Oliver Flimm - Cologne/Germany | flimm at sigtrap.de | http://www.sigtrap.de/ -!
!    Die Zehn Gebote haben 279 Woerter, die amerikanische Unabhaengigkeits-    !