[Xapian-discuss] Indexing and commiting

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Apr 16 20:44:21 BST 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:40:21PM +0200, Oliver Flimm wrote:

> I use MySQL 4.1.x. Unfortunately MySQL gets quite slow when performing the
> select over these to tables - especially after the 1 millionth dataset
> fetched.

Was the problem there to do with transporting such large result
tables? Don't know whether 4.1.x supports it, but 5.0.x has lazy
cursors which avoid transporting all the data to the client side
before returning the first row. This can help considerably,
particularly if (as is probably the case here) you know exactly which
rows you want from the MySQL index alone.

(If 4.1.x doesn't support this, you can probably simulate almost the
same effect using LIMIT. However YMMV - 4.1.x has various places where
it isn't too hot on optimisation.)