[Xapian-discuss] Indexing and commiting

Oliver Flimm flimm at sigtrap.de
Mon Apr 16 22:40:47 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:44:21PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> Was the problem there to do with transporting such large result
> tables? Don't know whether 4.1.x supports it, but 5.0.x has lazy
> cursors which avoid transporting all the data to the client side
> before returning the first row. This can help considerably,
> particularly if (as is probably the case here) you know exactly which
> rows you want from the MySQL index alone.
>
> (If 4.1.x doesn't support this, you can probably simulate almost the
> same effect using LIMIT. However YMMV - 4.1.x has various places where
> it isn't too hot on optimisation.)

using LIMIT (and offsets) was my last optimisation step before switching to
flat files ;-) The timings given were for this optimization. I didn't try to
use cursors - so I can't comment on their impact on performance.

Regards,

Oliver

--
!- Oliver Flimm - Cologne/Germany | flimm at sigtrap.de | http://www.sigtrap.de/ -!
!    Die Zehn Gebote haben 279 Woerter, die amerikanische Unabhaengigkeits-    !