[Xapian-discuss] bootstrap: macro `AM_CXXFLAGS' not found in library

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Sat Apr 28 23:26:43 BST 2007

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> I get this when I try to run 'bootstrap' to rebuild Xapian from scratch.
>  This is the current revision from the svn repository today (8400). Any
> suggestions on what other package may be needed (both gcc and g++ are
> installed).

Very odd - it works fine here.  AM_CXXFLAGS is not meant to be a macro,
it's just a variable (which is used by some of automake's standard
rules), so something's getting confused somehow.  The line numbers in
your error message correspond to lines in which the variable is assigned to.

Perhaps the problem is old versions of automake or autoconf, though this
should get reported if it's the problem.  See the section in
xapian-core/HACKING titled "Building from SVN" for a list of the
appropriate versions, and details of the extra tools required.

If you can't fix it with that information, can you let us know your
platform (OS and/or distribution), the versions of automake, autoconf
and libtool which you have installed, and any unusual installation
methods (for example, if you've installed any of the tools to
non-standard paths)?  If this is a problem which might happen again,
we'd like to fix it (or at least, make the error message more informative).

Alternatively, you can just try building from one of the automatic
snapshots, available at http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/
These won't require bootstrap to be run, and don't need any of the
maintainer tools to be installed.

--
Richard