[Xapian-discuss] bootstrap: macro `AM_CXXFLAGS' not found in library

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Sun Apr 29 03:26:57 BST 2007

Richard Boulton wrote:
> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>> I get this when I try to run 'bootstrap' to rebuild Xapian from
>> scratch.  This is the current revision from the svn repository today
>> (8400). Any suggestions on what other package may be needed (both gcc
>> and g++ are installed).
>
> Perhaps the problem is old versions of automake or autoconf, though this
> should get reported if it's the problem.  See the section in
> xapian-core/HACKING titled "Building from SVN" for a list of the
> appropriate versions, and details of the extra tools required.

I had read that, just thought all was recent.  Bad move on my part.

Ubuntu Edgy, 64-bit

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60

automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6 <--- THIS IS OLD, SB 1.9.5 <---

ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 Debian 1.5.22-4 (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18
22:14:06)

The version problem was not reported by bootstrap.

> Alternatively, you can just try building from one of the automatic
> snapshots, available at http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/
> These won't require bootstrap to be run, and don't need any of the
> maintainer tools to be installed.

If all else fails...

...Thanks,
...Ken