[Xapian-discuss] standalone xapian server

Alexander Lind malte at webstay.org
Mon Aug 20 21:56:09 BST 2007

James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:19:17AM -0700, Alexander Lind wrote:
>

>> But take for example an indexing script, that will call several various
>> xapian functions for each new document it indexes, or each old document
>> it updates - this must be much slower if talking via http than with an
>> internal php object?
>>

> Depends on a lot of details, frankly. I wouldn't like to guess what's
> going on in your situation, but unless you have a PHP database, you
> can find another way of doing it that's as fast in many cases. It just
> might take a bit of work...

I'm not sure what you mean by 'PHP database', but I do use is php
functions that makes real-time changes to xapian-indexes, and the apps
depend on these real time changes. I have a feeling this might become
quite slow and more error prone (dropped http connections etc).

If I just used xapian for a classic search engine with one indexing
function and one search function, then using a separate http app server
or even a Python solution would probably work well. But we've been
embedding a lot of Xapian functionality into larger php-apps (and we are
extremely happy with how xapian makes them perform!).

Alec