[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Aug 23 12:35:50 BST 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 05:02:19AM -0400, Jim wrote:
> Since I'm using scriptindex to build a set of updates to an existing db
> into a new db and then using xapian-compact to merge them, I'm going
> to have duplicates.

This approach just isn't going to work.  The reason xapian-compact can
be so much faster is that it doesn't need to worry about looking at the
documents at all.  So you can merge an index of new documents, but
replacements and deletions can't be handled in this way.

> I'm going to have to copy the existing db to a new
> location and let scriptindex update that one, which is a lot slower than
> the xapian-compact method but at least it won't leave me with dups.

This is probably the best approach.