[Xapian-discuss] Re: [Swig-devel] license issue

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Aug 23 17:41:05 BST 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 05:07:26PM +0100, William S Fulton wrote:
> Permission for removing the licence generated into the wrapper file? I
> don't know how to get his reasoning without asking him. He may have
> decided that everything generated is covered by the php licence or may
> have misunderstood the php licence requirements.
>
> Maybe the php licence requires all code that uses its headers to be
> licenced by the php licence. Can Sam or Olly check with the php guys?
> Maybe make use of their licencing email address I gave out earlier?

There's no need to ask them - there's clearly no such requirement in the
PHP or Zend licences.

Both are essentially a BSD-style licence, but including an advertising
clause (like the old BSD licence did), and a clause requiring you don't
use "PHP", "Zend", etc to endorse or promote your products (which would
be better done by trademarking them really).  Also, the PHP licence has
a clause restricting how you can name your software.

So it should be fine to mix code licensed under SWIG's licence with code
under the PHP and/or Zend licences - essentially you'd end up with a
licence with the restrictions imposed by each of the licences, and none
of these appear to conflict.