[Xapian-discuss] Re: BUG IN XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD

Kevin Duraj kevin.softdev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:39:33 BST 2007

Olly,

Basically I give up on using XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD environment
variable, and always change
xapian-core-1.0.2/backends/flint/flint_database.cc
values to 20 million and then recompile Xapian.

I have been exporting XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD  properly and my indexing
is running from crontab and I know crontab may not see the same
environment variables.

I think developers who are indexing large amount of data (1 million
and up) having the same issue by slow indexing but the
XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD makes dramatic positive change in performance.
I know there are many folks still using 2GB memory and 32 bit machines
however we must focus our development on utilizing 64 bit machines
with multi-processor and lot of memory.

Example system with 32 processor with 256 GB memory
http://hpcsystems.com/

We can start to compete with major search engines such a Google etc
... can you see the FUTURE? We need to come up utilizing all the CPUs
and all memory available on server, when indexing, compacting,
searching, omega tools etc ...

PS: flying to Asia won't answer emails for while ...
   Kevin Duraj
   http://pacificair.com

On 8/22/07, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:51:27PM -0700, Kevin Duraj wrote:
> > Okay XAPIANS I found the Bug!
> >
> > flint_database.cc for what ever reason is not picking up the
> > environment variable XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD and makes the indexing
> > VERY SLOW, because it defaults it to 10000 documents. I was going
> > crazy for passed month after we switched to FLINT not able to figure
> > out why indexing goes so slow. Therefore I hard coded my own
> > flush_threshold directly to flint_database.cc and now indexing going
> > fast as before!
>
> Hmm, the code there looks fine to me.  Also, it hasn't changed for about
> 2 years, so this doesn't look like a bug in Xapian to me.
>
> Kevin: Are you sure you're exporting XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD after you
> set it?  Also, check you spelled it correctly!
>
> Also, does your patch fix all your complaints about flint performance
> in 1.0.x?
>
> Cheers,
>    Olly

   Kevin Duraj