[Xapian-discuss] ucs2 build of xapian?

Jason Witherspoon jwitherspoon at rainbow.coop
Wed Dec 12 02:13:52 GMT 2007

Hi folks--

I'd really like to try out Xapian on my current server setup (Debian Sarge, Apache2, mod_python, django, postgresql, psycopg2).  Problem is, my Python is compiled as ucs2, which is incompatible w/Xapian.  I've tried recompiling Python w/ucs4, but it inevitably breaks psycopg2 (which I've blitzed & reinstalled on top of the new Python build, seems like dozens of times now).  It's a really strange problem-- the recompiled/installed psycopg2 *is* looking for the right modules (PyUnicodeUCS4-[whatever]), but not finding them.  Did a clean Jython reinstall too, as that's the only thing which contains the purported PyUnicodeUCS4 stuff that seems to be missing).

Long story short, I've been banging my head for a couple of days now trying to get my system to play nice w/a ucs4-built app (Xapian), & it ain't happening, so I thought I'd ask & maybe, magically, there exists a ucs2 build of Xapian floating around somewhere.  But I bet I know the answer to that one....

Thanks much in advance for any advice/help!