[Xapian-discuss] ucs2 build of xapian?

Jason Witherspoon jwitherspoon at rainbow.coop
Wed Dec 12 02:48:41 GMT 2007

Hey Olly--

Yup, I mean a build compatible w/my ucs2 Python.

Bad, bad things happen when I recompile Python as ucs4.  I mean, I can keep banging my head on it, but it's been a bleak coupla days so far.

I went into it a little bit in my original message (checksee), but here's a more complete rundown I sent to a Django discussion list, just fishing randomly for help:

Here's the problem I run into:  Xapian is compiled to work w/a Python
that's been configured for ucs4 support (this is a manner of handling
unicode).  Won't work w/ucs2, far as I can tell.

When I try recompiling my Python to work w/Xapian, it breaks my
psycopg2, which was compiled for ucs2 support.

Okay, no problem, I blitz every instance/egg of psycopg2 & install it
fresh on top of my new ucs4-compliant Python.

Which lends some bizarre results-- in my best-case scenario (after
several days of trial & error), I could get the psycopg2 module to
load fine from IDLE, but it nonetheless still yielded non-stop
"undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_[whatever]" errors when I tried to
access my Django setup.

The only place I can find these PyUnicodeUCS[2/4] modules/whatevers
(?) is in Jython, so I clean installed that for the heck of it.  No
dice.

So this isn't your problem per se-- somewhere along the psycopg2 -> django (possibly via Jython/mod_apache...?) route, I simply can't get my system to play nice w/a Python ucs4 setup.  But unfortunately, at my lowly skill level (ie, not being able to recompile my entire system to work correctly), I'm having to look around for other options (PyLucene?) that will work w/my current setup.  When I'd much rather go w/Xapian.

Thanks!