[Xapian-discuss] minor problem

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Dec 24 04:14:48 GMT 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:27:27PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 02:38:14PM -0500, Michael A. Lewis wrote:
>
> [flint indexing processing apparently blocking on /bin/cat]
> > Since I am serializing my updates (one after another) and only from
> > a single process, why am I seeing what appears to be long-term
> > locks?
>
> Which OS? We had problems on Mac OS X which I don't remember ever
> actually getting to the bottom of, that involved its sitting on
> /bin/cat. (I noticed it while running the test suite.)

I don't think this is the same issue.  Michael reports slow indexing
rather than the process hanging.

> IIRM that was using the remotetcp backend, with flint behind it; the
> tests were failing to get the remote backend up into listening state,
> because the locking was getting stuck. AFAIK we haven't seen the same
> thing on other operating systems (Mac OS X still fails these tests in
> HEAD for me, and there has been discussion of writing our own /bin/cat
> replacement in an effort, amongst other things, to fix this).

This thread I guess?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.devel/1082/focus=1087

Though the error we were persuing there seems to be unrelated to remote
backend use if I read the messages correctly.

I don't think I've heard similar reports for any other OS.  Or from
another OS X user - could it be something odd about your setup perhaps?

I don't have access to Mac OS X, so I'm going to need help on this one!