[Xapian-discuss] Boosting fields in Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Dec 31 13:35:24 GMT 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 11:46:36AM +0000, Robert Young wrote:
> Just to forewarn, I'm coming from the Lucene world so I may not quite
> get some of the paradigms here.

If you find "translations" for terminology you think others would find
useful, feel free to add them to the wiki.  A new "Lucene" section here
would probably be a suitable place:

http://wiki.xapian.org/Phrasebook

> Is there a way of boosting certain areas of the indexed term set? I
> would like documents which have the searched term in their title to be
> ranked higher than those which only have it in the main body of their
> content. Is this possible?

Yes.  Variants on this question have been asked before, so I've written
a new FAQ entry to cover it:

http://wiki.xapian.org/FAQ#head-3c17843de2310bf942166d976b212acfce9ddc89

Let me know if it needs improving.