[Xapian-discuss] Xapian for Wikia?

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Wed Feb 7 17:31:02 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I noticed all the press coverage about Jimmy Wales' new search venture,
which doesn't seem to have a fixed name yet but I'll call Search Wikia
for now:
http://search.wikia.com/wiki/Search_Wikia

I've joined the mailing list and suggested Xapian as a core (they're
also considering Lucene, Nutch and Yacy - the latter is causing me some
amusement as the Yacy developers seem to argue a lot :-). This has
recieved some positive feedback, and it seems other people think it's
worth considering as well:
http://search.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Search_Projects_worth_researching&t=20070107152502

Jimmy's just responded to my initial post and said that everything is
still up for grabs, they're installing servers this Friday and they want
to "turn people loose on them to start playing around and testing".

Not sure I'm Unix savvy enough to do this (bet you the servers won't be
Windows :-) but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone fancies the job...

Cheers

Charlie