[Xapian-discuss] Xapian for Wikia?

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Thu Feb 8 17:32:38 GMT 2007

Wrong topic.

2007/2/7, Charlie Hull <charlie at juggler.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed all the press coverage about Jimmy Wales' new search venture,
> which doesn't seem to have a fixed name yet but I'll call Search Wikia
> for now:
> http://search.wikia.com/wiki/Search_Wikia
>
> I've joined the mailing list and suggested Xapian as a core (they're
> also considering Lucene, Nutch and Yacy - the latter is causing me some
> amusement as the Yacy developers seem to argue a lot :-). This has
> recieved some positive feedback, and it seems other people think it's
> worth considering as well:
> http://search.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Search_Projects_worth_researching&t=20070107152502
>
> Jimmy's just responded to my initial post and said that everything is
> still up for grabs, they're installing servers this Friday and they want
> to "turn people loose on them to start playing around and testing".
>
> Not sure I'm Unix savvy enough to do this (bet you the servers won't be
> Windows :-) but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone fancies the job...

What they want is not a search engine for their wiki(s).
postgresql tsearch2 or xapian will do very good there.

What they want is a new search engine, wiki-like which probably needs some
fast user feedback á la http://www.wikilens.org to give relevance feedback to
adapt the ranking algorithms dynamically.

So it's a UI thing (fast ajax-like feedback) with an AI (artificial
intelligence) part: rank adaption.
categorization clustering would probably help. maybe users will have
to do that also.
if the feedback pays back. say leads to better results.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/