[Xapian-discuss] omega number range searches - query

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Tue Jul 24 04:57:14 BST 2007

Eike wrote:
> These text files contain various numbers of dates in the form of YYYY, mostly in
> free-text rather than formatted fields. I was hoping to be able to use the cgi
> to limit searches of these documents by date/number ranges e.g. "catalogue
> 1890..1910", but I not getting what I expected.
>
> Using godmode to inspect the indexing, only the 'file date modified' is stored
> as Y2007, fair enough, the text is not in the YYYYMMDD format, but none of the
> other numbers are stored as values either. In fact the document values all
> appear to contain garbage e.g.
>
> Document Values
> Value#	Value
> 0	F¤Ý
> 1	Xµsã1‘„z
,:;ÔŠ*

> The various years are picked out as plain terms, but I do not seem to be able to
> do number range searches. I have scoured the documentation and mailing lists and
> have now confused myself.
>
> Can you help me with 2 questions:
> 1) Should the omega cgi interface support number range searches with/without
> additional configuration?

If you use omindex, only the last modified date is stored.  It _should_
be possible to do a date range search using this value, by setting the
START and END cgi parameters.  I don't believe sorting or range
restriction is possible currently with any other numeric value.

> 2) From my outline does it appear that omindex has indexed my documents as
> expected - with particular reference to the document values?

Yes - those two values look vaguely plausible: value 0 is the last_mod
timestamp, as a 4 byte integer (ie, binary data, not ascii; hence the
odd characters).  value 1 is an MD5 sum of the document, again as binary
data, not ascii.