[Xapian-discuss] licensing requirements for using the SWIG bindings

Victor Ng crankycoder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:35:45 BST 2007

Hi,

I'm confused about my licensing obligation with respect to the Xapian
SWIG bindings.

I've got a python wrapper that sits above the standard Xapian
Python/SWIG bindings, and I wasn't sure if the *intent* of the Xapian
team is that my python wrapper - and any code that also uses my
wrapper also falls under GPLv2.

It seems unclear if the FSF's position on dynamic linking in Python
constitutes 'real' linking, but I'd rather just do what the Xapian
team expects.

Is it (reasonably) safe to assume that the library will *not* get
upgraded to GPLv3 since copyright for various pieces belong to many
parties?

thanks,
vic

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."  - Hanlon's Razor