[Xapian-discuss] licensing requirements for using the SWIG bindings

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Jul 24 15:03:20 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 09:35 -0400, Victor Ng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm confused about my licensing obligation with respect to the Xapian
> SWIG bindings.
>
> I've got a python wrapper that sits above the standard Xapian
> Python/SWIG bindings, and I wasn't sure if the *intent* of the Xapian
> team is that my python wrapper - and any code that also uses my
> wrapper also falls under GPLv2.
>
> It seems unclear if the FSF's position on dynamic linking in Python
> constitutes 'real' linking, but I'd rather just do what the Xapian
> team expects.

Hmm, IANAL but the first 'feature' listed on Xapian's Wbsite:
 - Free Software/Open Source - licensed under the GPL.

Note - this is GPL, _not_ LGPL so the question isn't really about
linking vs. plug-in vs. derived work.  Start your application and do an
'% lsof <pid-of-your-app> | grep  libxapian

 HTH R. Mattes