[Xapian-discuss] query within value range

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 18:35:27 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 16:34 +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> When the query parser find something which looks like a range, each
> ValueRangeProcessor is called (in the order they're added to the query
> parser) and can decide to accept the range (in which case it returns the
> start and end values, so it can do marshalling to make the values into
> fixed-width number representations, for example), or reject the range,
> in which case the next processor is called.
>
> So, you could have a date range processor, which accepts ranges which
> look like dates, and a numeric processor, which accepts ranges which don't.

Okay, that's pretty darn cool. So I've currently got a value(0) that is
a date but it's date/time, '20070604175403', and since this is a number
(and after a quick peek I think it doesn't look like a date to the
DateValueRangeProcessor) I could use the NumberValueRangeProcessor. Also
since these order correctly when string sorted I should not hit the
soon-to-be-eradicated number value bug. About right?

So for making the programmers life that much easier is the performance
expected to be better or worse than boolean when using a value
processor?

Cheers
Mark.