[Xapian-discuss] Xapian and Mediawiki?

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Thu Jun 7 20:24:38 BST 2007

Charlie Hull schrieb:
> Richard Boulton wrote:
>> John Pye wrote:
>>> I wonder if anyone has done any work on integrating Xapian with
>>> Mediawiki?
>>>
>>> I've been having trouble with the default MySQL-based search index built
>>> in to Mediawiki and setting up their recommended Lucene.net solution
>>> looks a bit arduous.
>>>
>>> I see that some Moin-based wikis have adopted Xapian.
>>
>> There was a "google summer of code" project last summer which
>> implemented a Xapian based search backend for MoinMoin, which is why
>> that's happening.  I don't know of anyone doing the same for Mediawiki
>> though, unfortunately.
>>
>> It'd be lovely if someone were to implement a Xapian based search
>> backend for Mediawiki.  I'm playing with a dump of the wikipedia data
>> for doing some performance tests at present, but that's not quite the
>> same thing...
>>
> Yes, this would be great - we've never quite managed to get around to
> doing a Wikipedia search using Xapian.
>
> There's also Jimmy Wales' search-engine-for-the-masses project
> (http://search.wikia.com/wiki/Search_Wikia) - I've suggested Xapian for
> this but they seem more interested in Lucene. Lots of talk, little
> action at the moment, but I believe they have servers.

Since I'm also one of the main wiki engine developers I can comment:
We wanted to talk last Tuesday at #wikiohana about the new wikia search
project, but then we postponed it to the next months meeting.
http://wikiohana.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/IrcMeetingJune2007

I'm working on a tighter integration of xapian-omega into phpwiki right
now. It will be in 1.3.14.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/