[Xapian-discuss] Phrase query problem with python api

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 19 15:33:12 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:51:02AM +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:
> Actually, if I recall correctly, NEAR and PHRASE pretty much only accept
> single-term subqueries currently, though I may be out of date on this
> point.

We've done some flattening for a long time, but not in a very thorough
way:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.devel/869

> I've never needed to perform these kinds of queries - if you can
> find examples of real-world queries which need support for this, it
> might encourage someone to develop support for it sooner rather than later.

The above thread is the only time I can recall (or find) anyone
mentioning this limitation before now, and in that case the error
message is wrong as the query is something like:

    (A OR B) NEAR (C OR D)