[Xapian-discuss] Multiple matches in the same file

Pedro Fortuny Ayuso pfortuny at gmail.com
Sun May 6 19:36:59 BST 2007

El 06/05/2007, a las 17:29, Olly Betts escribió:

> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:50:04PM +0200, Pedro Fortuny Ayuso wrote:
>> I am new to xapian (and rather satisfied, by
>> the way. Congrats to the developers). However, I would be
>> happier if it were able to return multiple matches for
>> the same document in a coherent fashion. I mean the
>> obvious: not just returning the document once but the whole
>> list of document+matches_in_the_document for each "match".
>
> I don't think I really understand what you're asking for.  What may be
> "the obvious" to you isn't to me!
>
> In Xapian a "document" is the unit that is retrieved - it needn't be
> the same as what you might naturally consider a document in the system
> being indexed.  If you want to retrieve with a finer granularity, then
> you can just define your "Xapian document" to be that granularity.
> You
> can collapse matches within the same larger unit together if you wish.
>
> If that isn't what you mean, can you elaborate?
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

My mistake. I was getting it wrong with using "omega" instead of
reading Xapian's documentation. I think I now see it clearer. The
"problem" I wanted to state (informally, not technically) is: If you
search "banana", not just getting a list of the documents (web pages,
for
example) where banana appears (this is what google does), but a list
of [documents + places] where it appears. That would mean, documents
appear a lot of times for the same query.

I am reading the doc now.

Thanks,

Pedro.

Pedro Fortuny Ayuso
pfortuny at gmail.com      http://pfortuny.sdf-eu.org
C/Capuchinos 14, 1-S. 47006 Valladolid. SPAIN