[Xapian-discuss] Multiple matches in the same file

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun May 6 16:29:09 BST 2007

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:50:04PM +0200, Pedro Fortuny Ayuso wrote:
> I am new to xapian (and rather satisfied, by
> the way. Congrats to the developers). However, I would be
> happier if it were able to return multiple matches for
> the same document in a coherent fashion. I mean the
> obvious: not just returning the document once but the whole
> list of document+matches_in_the_document for each "match".

I don't think I really understand what you're asking for.  What may be
"the obvious" to you isn't to me!

In Xapian a "document" is the unit that is retrieved - it needn't be
the same as what you might naturally consider a document in the system
being indexed.  If you want to retrieve with a finer granularity, then
you can just define your "Xapian document" to be that granularity.  You
can collapse matches within the same larger unit together if you wish.

If that isn't what you mean, can you elaborate?