[Xapian-discuss] Building RPM on RHEL4

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 31 19:08:55 BST 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:26:26PM +0100, Tim Brody wrote:
> RHEL4 only has automake 1.9.2 which breaks the FC6 'fix' in the core
> spec file here:
> autoreconf --force

Hmm.

> Here's my attempt at a fix (basically don't run it if we have <1.9.5
> autoconf):
>
> AUTOMAKE_VERSION=`automake --version | head -1 | sed 's/[^0-9]//g;'`
> [ $AUTOMAKE_VERSION -gt 194 ] && autoreconf --force

It might be needed for x86-64 though.  1.9.5 is a somewhat arbitrary
requirement - it was the version in Debian sarge, so I figured it wasn't
an onerous requirement for developers.  But running it from the spec
file means we need to be a bit more conservative, so the simplest fix is
probably just to relax the requirement on the automake version.

> It'd be nice to have a flag in the bindings to not compile for python
> (2.4 requirement breaks on RHEL4 which only has python 2.3).

Umm.  The spec file we ship supports "--without python" (added in
0.9.10) and the Python requirement is:

BuildRequires: python-devel >= 2.2