[Xapian-discuss] Search performance issues and profiling/debugging

Ron Kass ron at pidgintech.com
Wed Oct 24 17:14:22 BST 2007

 Hi..

Alex:
Undoubtedly, XenSource is the cause of the OProfile problem. We looked
into a patch for that, but there is one only for version 3 and we are
using version 4. (and, yes, we are using the "official" XenSource one).
As for the disks, each of the 6 disks is defined as an lvm, where one is
allocated with 80Gb for system/log and the other 5 and allocated fully
(465GB of the 465.5GB) to the databases. Each two databases sit on the
same disk. No other instance (since none exist) or Dom0 is using the 5
disks of the databases.

Hope that clarifies the disk mapping.

James:
While anything we put on the server complicates things a bit, xen is not
really the issue here I believe. If the problem was Xen related, why
would a scheduling problem effect "no recip" in such a consistent way,
even after compacting the databases and moving them around? If Xapian
used DMA, undocumented interrupts or something else out of the ordinary,
I understand why it would be something to look into first, but what
makes you think that Xen in the mix can explain the variation in
estimates, the strange performance issues with specific queries only,
and other strange things we see?
We will certainly try to profile things, even test without Xen if we
can't profile on it. Again, being the only VM instance running on that
machine, there is little scheduling to do and no competition over IO and
other resources. But even if there were, why would it be so constant on
"no recip" search? Don't make too much sense unless we are missing
something.

We indeed tested things well over 3 times. This is why I picked "no
recip" as a search. It is constantly performing badly even when searched
second of third time right after the first (see debug output).

Below are stats from 100 runs:

Chris:
We will try to test it without Xen as well later on. Keep in mind that
to do so we will have to move aside 10 databases of 50GB, reinstall the
machine and remove the database into place. We would do it first thing
if we believed its Xen's issue, although if we can't profile things we
might do this anyway (or test it on a different machine).

Olly: Sorry, we removed the old Database10 after compressing it. Since
then we didn't see the seg fault. We will keep a close eye and contact
you as soon as we see such error again.

Best regards,
Ron.