[Xapian-discuss] Xapian not retrieving documents?

Kwok-yau Kwong kwokyaukwong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 10:24:50 BST 2007

Hi all,

I have recently indexed a collection of xml documents totalling roughly
500mb, however when I attempt to search through the database using the
simplesearch program (in java) it always seems to return 0 matches, even
when I attempt words that I know to be in the documents. I have tried the
simpleindex and simplesearch example and that worked fine.

So looking through the documentation I found the delve feature and attempted
a poke inside the database and these were the results

delve -v -r 1 /home/kwok/Desktop/latimes
Term List for record #1: Rla072290 1 217 la072290 1 217

>From changing the term positions to  #100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, the
only difference I got was a change in the laxxxxxx, where laxxxxxx are the
filenames of small individual compressed files.

I am actually unsure what kind of results I should be getting from using
delve, but I was expecting all the different words/terms to be indexed
rather than the filenames.

Then when I use the random search terms of "la072290", "la052089", I got
217 and 156 results respectively.

I have also attempted a search program created by my supervisor, but the end
result is also that Xapian is not retrieving the documents.

So I guess my question is, does it look as though I am not getting relevant
search results because my indexer has not been indexing correctly (from the
delve results) or is Xapian just not retrieving the documents for any
reasons?

Many Thanks

Kwok!