[Xapian-discuss] Static Library Problem

Kevin Duraj kevin.softdev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 00:42:08 BST 2008

I have the same issue when I was installing Xapian on new Linux CentOS
5.1 server.

checking for strerror... yes
checking for hstrerror... yes
checking for working ISO C90 conforming snprintf... snprintf
checking for zlib.h... no
configure: error: zlib.h not found - required for flint (you may need
to install the zlib1g-dev or zlib-devel package)

Xapian could not be install because zlib.h compression library header
was not found in /usr/include/zlib.h

I tried to install "yum -y install zlib", I got message zlib is
already installed ...
Then I tried to uninstall zlib by "yum remove zlib*" ... and my old
IBM server finally died ... poor server, and they say IBM servers
never dies ...
I could not even issue "ls" statement after *LOL* ... never type this
command as root "yum remove zlib*" on your own server !

Kevin Duraj
http://myhealthcare.com