[Xapian-discuss] Omega: partial searches

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Aug 14 12:32:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:58:13PM +0930, Frank Bruzzaniti wrote:
> I was in the situation where I needed index more than 1 directory/share. But
> I only have 1 search page.  Is the "best practice" to index build separate
> databases for each directory/share I am indexing then use xapian-compact -m
> DB1 DB2 DefaultDB ?

You can index them into the same database with omindex, but you have to
disable the "delete removed documents" feature by passing "-p", which
means that upon reindexing removed documents in the filing system will
remain in the index.

You could index separately and merge.  But you can just search over
multiple databases with omega - either pass multiple DB parameters
(DB=DB1&DB=DB2) or separate with "/" (DB=DB1/DB2).

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:37:39PM +0930, Frank Bruzzaniti wrote:
> Great,  I've been looking thought the source, I was wondering if you could
> point me in the right direction re which files I need to "tweak".

I did already actually - as I said in my original reply, it's the call
to "parse_query".  As "grep" would also have told you, that's in
query.cc.