[Xapian-discuss] compile problems with solaris 10

Hal Huntley hal.huntley at sri.com
Sat Dec 6 00:09:12 GMT 2008

I have a couple of problems compiling xapian-core on a Solaris 10  sparc
T5220 box.

I have gcc 3.4.6 from sunfreeware.com on the system.

First, I tried to start with "./configure",  but I get the following error:

==
checking whether g++ is a working C++ compiler...no
configure: error:
*** You need a working C++ compiler to compile Xapian, but configure
failed to
*** find one.  If you have a working C++ compiler, you can tell
configure where
*** to find it by invoking it like so:
***
*** ./configure CXX=/opt/bin/c++
==

I've never seen that error before with a standard Gnu compiler. Is it
possible there is a bug in the configure script for xapian?
Has anyone seen something like this and knows a workaround or fix?

We have Sun Studio 11 compiler as well and I tried the configure option
listed in the error message by doing:
    ./configure CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

It gets through the configure process ok, but when I do the make, it
goes to do some linking and I get:
==

/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -G -zdefs -hlibxapian.so.15 -o .libs/libxapian.so.15.6.0   api/.libs/editdistance.o api/.libs/error.o api/.libs/errorhandler.o api/.libs/expanddecider.o api/.lib
.... LOTS OF files then ending with...
/.libs/tclUniData.o unicode/.libs/utf8itor.o  -library=stlport4 -lrt -lz -lnsl -lsocket -library=Cstd -library=Crun -lc
log                                 expand/.libs/expandweight.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /lib/libm.so.1)
ceil                                api/.libs/omqueryinternal.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /lib/libm.so.1)
fabs                                api/.libs/omqueryinternal.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /lib/libm.so.1)
sqrt                                api/.libs/omqueryinternal.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /lib/libm.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/libxapian.so.15.6.0
*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libxapian.la'
Current working directory /usr/local/src/xapian-core-1.0.9
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
failcom='exit 1'; \
for f in x $MAKEFLAGS; do \
  case $f in \
    *=* | --[!k]*);; \
    *k*) failcom='fail=yes';; \
  esac; \
done; \
dot_seen=no; \
target=`echo all-recursive | sed s/-recursive//`; \
list='. docs tests'; for subdir in $list; do \
  echo "Making $target in $subdir"; \
  if test "$subdir" = "."; then \
    dot_seen=yes; \
    local_target="$target-am"; \
  else \
    local_target="$target"; \
  fi; \
  (cd $subdir && make  $local_target) \
  || eval $failcom; \
done; \
if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
  make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
fi; test -z "$fail"
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /usr/local/src/xapian-core-1.0.9
*** Error code 1
==

I'd guess I'd rather have the gcc option work for me, but if a solution to the Sun Studio 11 compiler is available, I'll go with that.

Regards,

Hal Huntley