[Xapian-discuss] Always returning ALL the documents matching a query

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Dec 29 19:02:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:52:24PM -0500, tata 668 wrote:

> Still, I would be really glad if you could make me suggestions on
> how to improve Xapian in the way I'm currently using it! Is there a
> way of reducing the memory/CPU it takes, knowing that I'll ask it to
> return me all documents matching the query, every time?

Really, if you're going to do that you're probably going to run into
problems. Richard or Olly may have some tuning hints, but I doubt
it'll make a huge amount of difference. Beyond normal speed issues
like trying to get your entire index into memory, that is.

You could try paging the Xapian result sets, and grabbing more page by
page until you get enough (after removing false positives) to fill the
page you need. That should be more efficient than grabbing all results
on the first page and caching, I'd have thought.