[Xapian-discuss] Always returning ALL the documents matching a query

tata 668 tata668 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 19:26:37 GMT 2008

> You could try paging the Xapian result sets, and grabbing more page by
> page until you get enough (after removing false positives) to fill the
> page you need. That should be more efficient than grabbing all results
> on the first page and caching, I'd have thought.

The problem I see using this method is that the sorting has to be done by Xapian, right? If I want
to manage the sorting outside Xapian, I have to get all the posts resulting of the search in the
first place.

In your opinion the problem will be memory? Even if I only store the ids of the posts as the
document "data" and I have no "vales" at all? An PHP array of, let's say, 5000-10000 ids won't bust
my server memory except if a lot of searches are done at the same time, no? Where is the bootleneck
exactly, in your opinion?

Julien