[Xapian-discuss] problem compiling static python bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Feb 6 13:47:49 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:09:44PM -0800, Noah Hoffman wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile xapian bindings for python for use on a
> shared (university-based) web server, so I've had to compile
> everything (python, xapian-core) in my home directory using
> "--prefix=$HOME/public_html/local".

It's a bad idea to put this kind of stuff inside your web
root. $HOME/local would be a better choice (unless your CGIs run
inside a chroot or jail, which is unlikely).

> However, I believe that I need to compile the python bindings
> statically, because attempts to import xapian from the cgi script (I'm
> using MoinMoin - moin.cgi, for what it's worth) result in an error:
>
> libxapian.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hmm. Where is libxapian.so.15? Is there any documentation on strange
restrictions provided by the CGI mechanism?

> When I try to compile statically, I get an error:
>
> make distclean
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/public_html/local --with-python
> --enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes && make && make install

I'm not convinced this is the right approach. It's not that you don't
want to build static libraries, it's that you want to link against the
static *xapian* library. Try building xapian-core with
--enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes and then build the bindings
normally.