[Xapian-discuss] problem compiling static python bindings

Noah Hoffman nghoffma at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 04:06:35 GMT 2008

 > It's a bad idea to put this kind of stuff inside your web
> root. $HOME/local would be a better choice (unless your CGIs run
> inside a chroot or jail, which is unlikely).

I wholeheartedly agree, but it seems that $HOME and $HOME/public_html
are on different filesystems (I'm guessing) - in any case, I can't
access anything in the former from the latter in the cgi environment.

> I'm not convinced this is the right approach. It's not that you don't
> want to build static libraries, it's that you want to link against the
> static *xapian* library. Try building xapian-core with
> --enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes and then build the bindings
> normally.

I'll try it, though unless I misunderstood, Olly suggests that this is
not possible (see elsewhere in this thread).

Thanks for the response,
Noah