[Xapian-discuss] Xapian Debian/Ubuntu repositiories does not work (APT does not handle redirects!)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 15 17:43:43 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:22:44PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:30:43AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > This is the second problem which this new redirect has caused, and
> > expecting everyone to update their sources.list is rather an imposition,
> > so I think we should probably remove it (for now at least) and return to
> > www.xapian.org working as it used to.
>
> Changed, very grudgingly. apt can't handle redirects?

If you're up for a little apache wrangling, it should work to redirect
everything on www.xapian.org except /debian.* to the same path on
xapian.org.

But there might be further lurking issues (we've already had the minor
inconvenience of forcing bugzilla users who have a remembered password
for www.xapian.org to log in again) and I'm not totally convinced the
small aesthetic improvement of having a canonical webserver hostname
justifies the hassles...