[Xapian-discuss] Xapian Debian/Ubuntu repositiories does not work (APT does not handle redirects!)

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Feb 15 17:53:47 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:43:43PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> > > This is the second problem which this new redirect has caused, and
> > > expecting everyone to update their sources.list is rather an imposition,
> > > so I think we should probably remove it (for now at least) and return to
> > > www.xapian.org working as it used to.
> >
> > Changed, very grudgingly. apt can't handle redirects?
>
> If you're up for a little apache wrangling, it should work to redirect
> everything on www.xapian.org except /debian.* to the same path on
> xapian.org.

Erm, yeah, could do. I might if I have time at some point, but I'm not
convinced it's worth the effort.

> But there might be further lurking issues (we've already had the minor
> inconvenience of forcing bugzilla users who have a remembered password
> for www.xapian.org to log in again) and I'm not totally convinced the
> small aesthetic improvement of having a canonical webserver hostname
> justifies the hassles...

It's not really an aesthetic improvement, but I agree that it descends
into philosophical levels.

The annoying thing is that I could have made www.xapian.org canonical
(except that's more ugly) if we'd known about the problem with apt - I
just assumed that modern programs operating over HTTP actually spoke
HTTP 1.1. I can't switch to www.xapian.org as canonical now, because
of the 301s already out there :-(