[Xapian-discuss] extremely slow merging process

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Jun 4 11:00:39 BST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 01:25:11PM +0700, Vasiliy Sergeev wrote:

> I divided xapian DBs by month to minimize search time and updating
> DB with new data.  But I found that even month DB do not allow to
> search data very fast as it supposed to do.

My guess (without any further information) is that you're hitting
maximum spindle throughput: ie your disks can't move the data around
fast enough, and you don't have enough memory to buffer the bits of
the database needed for your search profile. Your operating system
will provide tools to shore up or disprove this analysis (iostat,
vmstat et al on a Unix, for instance).