[Xapian-discuss] How Xapian work with Thai ?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jun 10 15:31:44 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:45:54PM +0700, Sakesun Roykiattisak wrote:
> Just a minute ago I've installed Flax and I'm very surprised.
> Eventhough  it's very far from perfect, it's very usable with my
> language, Thai, out-of-the-box.

This probably isn't the best place to ask about flax.  It's not part
of Xapian, rather a framework which uses Xapian.

> And I'm wondering how does Xapian handle Thai ? Tokenize or N-Gram ?
> I've seen the list of language Xapian support (in which Thai is not
> included)
> But how does it handle other languages ?

That "list of languages" is just the ones that we provide stemming
algorithms for.  You can index other languages, though how you do
so is up to you.  There's not currently any built-in support.

>    I'm looking for way to perform full-text search for my language.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Thai.  I'm hoping we can add support
for indexing and searching using n-grams for CJKV in 1.1 - from what
you say above, it sounds like that should help for Thai too.