[Xapian-discuss] Performance of range searches

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sat Nov 1 21:25:13 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 02:15:25PM -0700, Alex Neth wrote:

> I wonder if there is a way to get Xapian not to store the full set of
> data, and only index it, and if that might improve performance.  For
> various reasons I prefer to fetch full data myself.

That's your call. If you're using something like omindex, you'd have
to stop using it, but otherwise you are in control of what goes into
the Document data. Everything else in Xapian is the index.

> Also, is there a way to keep value ranges indexes in memory so that it
> might be faster?

Buy more memory, and trust your operating system VM subsystem to use
it. More generally, look at cache utilisation ratios, and check
whatever monitoring you've got to look for places you might be able to
help the OS do its work. (But most likely you'll want to add more
memory ;-)