[Xapian-discuss] Searching for "blue" gives "Caught unknown exception"

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Oct 17 10:13:53 BST 2008

Rod McFarland wrote:
> Seriously. We're nearing going live to replace dtSearch, except that searching for pretty
 > much anything gives a regular result, but for some reason the word
"blue" by itself gives
 > an error. Searching "red blue" is OK, "blue red" is OK, "brown",
"basket", and "yellow"
 > are fine... just "blue" so far. If you could have a look, or if you
know that "blue" is
 > a special word somehow, please let me know. The URL is
 > http://cowichan.library.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/omega?P=&DB=calendars2 .

Very odd.  First of all, which version of xapian/omega are you using,
and what platform is it running on?  Also, are you using a custom
template for performing the query?

Omega will only return that error if an exception is raised which isn't
a subclass of Xapian::Error (or a string exception).  The most likely
candidates I can think of are a floating point error of some kind, or an
out-of-memory (std::badalloc) exception.

I've had a bit of a poke around - the error also occurs for a search for
"calendar", I notice.

How big is your database?  If it's fairly small, and you were able to
send me a copy of the database (preferably by putting it into an
archive, and sending me a URL to download it from - I'm happy to arrange
this off-list), I'd be happy to check it for validity.  If you could
also send your query template, I'll see if I can reproduce the error
locally.

--
Richard