[Xapian-discuss] Xapian first try

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Fri Oct 17 13:09:53 BST 2008

Bobo Wieland wrote:
> I tried to run the simpleindex.php5 and simplesearch.php5 scripts
> aplied to my data and there was no problem there. But when I tried to
> search it didn't work as planned. Now, I guess that I was misstaken
> but I thought that xapian would be fast even when making "bogus"
> searches. When I search for "A" xapian takes seconds to retrieve a
> result.
>
> What I want to create is a realtime webserach that retrives the
> results as the user types. Maybe xapian isn't my best choice or the
> simpleindex/simplesearch isn't the correct way to go?

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to do some kind of
autocomplete - i.e. when the user types 'A' you want to show them all
the possible search terms beginning with 'A', then when they have typed
'Al' you want all the terms beginning with 'Al'... etc.

You might want to look at the Yahoo Widgets to help with this. As far as
getting the terms to display, it may well be inefficient to use Xapian
in this case - perhaps you should think about using a different source,
i.e. a manually created list, or server logs.

In any case, if you're having particular problems with Xapian we'll need
more information than 'it didn't work as planned' to help you.

Cheers

Charlie