[Xapian-discuss] Exclude menus on searching

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Oct 23 18:25:49 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:11:01PM +0100, Charlie Hull wrote:
> Sergio Catalá Gil wrote:
> > I'm using xapian-omega in my site and I would like to know if it has
> > some kind of label that I could use in my HTML pages to show results
> > only from a certain part (<div> for example). I don't like the menus
> > text or other parts of my site to be shown on the search results. Is
> > that possible?
>
> This message should help:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/3897/focus=3899

This was missing from the Omega documentation.  I've just added it.

Perhaps a cleaner way to handle this would be to support the CSS
visibility property (so "hidden" would mean "noindex" for that element)
and then provide support for an "indexing" media type.  Then a "user"
style sheet would allow exactly what Sergio suggests (and much more).
Adding CSS support would be a bit of work though.  Might be easiest to
plug in an existing library for that.

I'm surprised that there doesn't already seem to be a standard or
pseudo-standard media type for this purpose.  If anyone is aware of
an existing approach like this, it would be interesting to hear.