[Xapian-discuss] Exclude menus on searching

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Oct 23 23:45:20 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 06:25:49PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> Perhaps a cleaner way to handle this would be to support the CSS
> visibility property (so "hidden" would mean "noindex" for that element)
> and then provide support for an "indexing" media type.  Then a "user"
> style sheet would allow exactly what Sergio suggests (and much more).
> Adding CSS support would be a bit of work though.  Might be easiest to
> plug in an existing library for that.

CSS support is a huge bitch, and would add a pretty large
dependency. It's a little dubious that visibility:hidden would be the
correct approach (even in an 'indexing' media type)... it doesn't
quite feel semantically right. OTOH CSS is a disaster area anyway.

Many browsers add extensions to CSS; we could have -xapianomega-index:
yes|no; or similar.

> I'm surprised that there doesn't already seem to be a standard or
> pseudo-standard media type for this purpose.  If anyone is aware of
> an existing approach like this, it would be interesting to hear.

I doubt many people would think of approaching it this way, to be
honest. It's quite a neat approach, though, and worth thinking about
some more.

There have been proposals IIRC about using metadata (eg standard
attributes) to notate page chrome and things like that.