[Xapian-discuss] problems installing the perl modules

Amias Channer something at amias.org.uk
Tue Apr 7 13:17:20 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 02:48 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> You're building against an incompatible version of xapian-core.

Am using the current cpan version with the current version in your repo.

> You should have got a warning about this when you ran:
>
> perl Makefile.PL

I was just using the cpan installer .

> If you didn't, that's a bug - could you open a ticket with the exact
> output of "perl Makefile.PL" if so.

ah that only comes up if I run it manually , its not shown if
done by the cpan installer.

> This is only a warning as it often works OK (it's generally only a
> problem when a newer Search::Xapian wraps a new xapian-core feature)
> and it's annoying for users to have to modify Makefile.PL to get
> compatible combinations to work.

looks more like a fatal error as far as i can see it.

> > To me it would make sense to have an apt candidate for the Perl module
> > in your repo and i'd be happy to have a go at maintaining that build if
> > given some help to get started.
>
> Thanks for the offer, but we are actually in the process of moving away
> from maintaining our own package repo on xapian.org to using
> backports.org and Ubuntu PPAs.  For now, the simplest thing to do is use
> the packages from debian, or download an older version of Search::Xapian
> which matches your xapian-core.

Where can i get the correct version of the Perl module ?
Wouldn't it make sense not to put the module on CPAN if there is not
time to keep it up to date , instead you could package it in backports
or the ubunutu PPA. After all people use CPAN for simplicity so there is
little point if its only going to work for a tiny portion of the time
when the versions are in sync. maybe i have missed something ....

As an aside , i would rather have a seperate repo for xapian than
bringing in backports . Having a seperate repo means i can add it simply
without risking the importing of any backports code in to my stable
system.

Could I use the ubuntu PPA in that way from debian ?

Toodle-pip
Amias