[Xapian-discuss] problems installing the perl modules

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Apr 19 04:02:05 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:17:20PM +0100, Amias Channer wrote:
> > You should have got a warning about this when you ran:
> >
> > perl Makefile.PL

[...]

> ah that only comes up if I run it manually , its not shown if
> done by the cpan installer.

I've just tried this for myself to see if I could get CPAN to show this
warning, but in fact "install Search::Xapian" does show this warning,
though since it then starts to build it doesn't stand out as well as it
does if you run "perl Makefile.PL" by hand.

Here's the relevant part of the output:

[...]
  CPAN.pm: Going to build O/OL/OLLY/Search-Xapian-1.0.11.0.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Search::Xapian
Warning: Xapian version 1.1.0 may be incompatible with Search::Xapian 1.0.11.0
Could not read '/home/olly/.cpan/build/Search-Xapian-1.0.11.0-cwMo2D/META.yml'. Falling back to other methods to determine prerequisites
[...]