[Xapian-discuss] Emulating SQL JOIN in xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Feb 25 21:26:49 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:20:07PM +0000, Simon Roe wrote:

> 1) Simply duplicate the recipient information on every payment record.
> This is possible as there aren't likely to be more than 20 payments
> per recipient and I have the disk space.  I can see this speeding
> everything up too.

This will work, and I believe is the most obvious way of attacking the
problem in Xapian, if you must do so.

> 3) Don't use xapian.  This is a last resort!  One of the main reasons
> I'm using xapian is that my data isn't in a single scheme.

Try CouchDB? Although that doesn't support joins in a conventional
sense from what I understand. You may be able to do something with its
views mechanism, though. (From a *very* quick look!)

If not that, there may be other databases that efficiently support
non-rectangular schemata. You may be able to find one with a more
traditional relational semantic that you can use.

(You can do this with the latest version of SQL Server, and it'll give
you what I am led to believe is semi-reasonable free text search. But
I'm guessing you aren't on Windows, so that's probably not suitable.)

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org