[Xapian-discuss] Filesystems

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Wed Jul 1 07:11:33 BST 2009

My colleague is testing several filesystems on our new search-machine.
He has been looking at a few of the filesystems available in the 2.6.30
linux kernel, ext2/3/4, xfs, btrfs, nilfs2 and reiser4.

"Unfortunately" the new machine has 24GB ram and 4x ssd in raid5. To get
somewhat IO-bound results we had to cripple the machine (by making sure
it couldn't use 20gb of those 24gb for file-cache) *and* cherry-pick our
queries (only the heaviest with phrase-queries and such).

In the normal scenario of having the full ram (or even 4gb) available
and the ssd's backing up any cache-miss, it is simply cpu-bound. And
that is with the fastest x86 2-socket cpu's available right now, a pair
of intel X5570's. The good news is that it actually appears to scale
very well when using more cpu-cores (this one has 8 cores with 8
hyper-threading cores) and that we can get about 90 searches per second
out of it, which is more than we do now per minute (and we haven't
benchmarked the compacted database yet).

I.e. our results indicate that for our reads it hardly matters which
filesystem to pick, most of the database will be in RAM any way.

With the crippled, extra-io, read-scenario, we do see differences in
performance between de filesystems tested.

When finished, we'll have numbers for linear writes (copying the 25GB
database from another disk array), non-linear writes (updating the
database) and semi-linear writes (compacting the database) with
semi-linear (memory-backed) reads.
And of course the numbers for the crippled read-scenario.

So far ext4 and xfs seem to be the best choices, both in read and write
scenario's. But obviously, our numbers are done with ssd, not normal disks.

We haven't yet tested the various mount/mkfs-options (apart from
enabling noatime), but we'll probably settle for ext4 and then try a few
options to better suit the filesystem to the underlying blockdevice.
After that we'll also try what the various compaction-options do to the
read-performance.

Best regards,

Arjen