[Xapian-discuss] Filesystems

Kevin Duraj kevin.softdev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:23:49 BST 2009

I don't have any test performance numbers. I have been running Xapian
search engine on different Linux distros with different filesystems
and felt that ext3 was the best. But, Wikipedia is also saying that
ext3 might be slower than other filesystems, in that case my
assumption would be wrong. It would be good to have some tests
performed with same data on different filesystems and see what happen.

The ext3 or third extended filesystem ...
Although its performance (speed) is less attractive than competing
Linux filesystems such as JFS, ReiserFS and XFS, it has a significant
advantage in that it allows in-place upgrades from the ext2 file
system without having to back up and restore data. Ext3 also uses less
CPU power than ReiserFS and XFS. It is also considered safer than the
other Linux file systems due to its relative simplicity and wider
testing base.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

Kevin Duraj
http://myhealthcare.com/