[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact 'undefined symbol' error

Paul Williamson paul.williamson at mediamiser.com
Fri Jul 31 20:31:36 BST 2009

2009/7/30 Olly Betts <olly at survex.com>

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:43:23PM -0400, Paul Williamson wrote:
> > I'm attempting to merge two xapian databases using the xapian-compact
> > command.  I've tried with some different combinations of -n and -b
> options
> > and also with no options at all.  I keep getting the same error:
> >
> > postlist ...xapian-compact: symbol lookup error: xapian-compact:
> undefined
> > symbol: _ZN10FlintTableC1ESsSsbib
>
> This is a dynamic linking error, so command line options won't make much
> difference.
>
> It looks like I managed to break the library ABI in 1.0.13, but only for
> a symbol used by xapian-compact (so this won't affect users of the
> public API).
>
> I think you'll only see this if you run xapian-compact from < 1.0.13 and
> use libxapian15.so (or whatever it is named on your platform) from >=
> 1.0.13, or vice versa.  That would explain why nobody has noticed
> before.  If that's not your situation, please say.
>
> It's pretty easy to fix - I just need to undo this change, but leave a
> copy of the new constructor in place so xapian-compact from 1.0.13 and
> 1.0.14 will still work with libxapian15.so 1.0.15 and later.
>
> For anyone maintaining binary packages of Xapian, I'd recommend holding
> off packaging 1.0.13 and 1.0.14 if you haven't already.
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

hi,

yes, we are using 1.0.13, with libxapian.so.15.6.4.  So, what are our
options, will upgrading to 1.0.14 fix this, or do we need to wait until
1.0.15?

we are intending to use the merge so we can index smaller, one day databases
and merge them into a larger running database.  do you know if generally
this is faster than just continuing to index the larger database?

thanks for your help,
Paul