[Xapian-discuss] making my db leaner and meaner

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Mar 26 17:44:56 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:30:09PM +0000, Ben Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying to shrink my xapian database in an effort to reduce load on
> the poor server (I think it's just creeping up in size enough now to the
> point where the machine is struggling with it a bit)

I'll leave comments on your suggestions to others, but out of interest
what's your db size on disk, memory usage of process, and available
memory? I assume you're seeing either heavy disk usage (on a Unix,
probably asvc_t or similar going up) or high load (which will probably
be caused by things which will also drive disk usage)?

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org