[Xapian-discuss] making my db leaner and meaner

Ben Campbell ben at scumways.com
Fri Mar 27 09:47:52 GMT 2009

James Aylett wrote:
> I'll leave comments on your suggestions to others, but out of interest
> what's your db size on disk, memory usage of process, and available
> memory? I assume you're seeing either heavy disk usage (on a Unix,
> probably asvc_t or similar going up) or high load (which will probably
> be caused by things which will also drive disk usage)?

My db is 15GB (although I just ran xapian-compact to reduce that to
12GB). The machine has 8GB of ram.

It's a Linux box (debian Lenny). We are getting kernel errors to do with
excess time taken to write to disk, exacerbated at least by my website -
iotop shows a large amount of time is spent by Apache loading (parts of)
the xapian index into RAM.
I'm afraid my knowledge of diagnosing such memory and io issues is a
little vague, but if you've got any suggestions of things I should take
a look at...

Sounds like more RAM is probably a good idea, but I know my db can be
vastly improved in any case.

Thanks,
Ben.